My Potong Is Melting

If you are born in the 1980s and live in Singapore, you should know this Potong ice cream. The word "Potong" is a Malay word which literally translate to "cut". It actually means that each Potong ice cream is being cut into individual rectangles from a larger portion. Hence the word "Potong". In the 60s, people used to make these ice cream handmade and sell them door to door. The number one flavor is red bean. Who would have guess it? I seriously tot it is durian. Lol!

Anyway, the 2 main core ingredients are red bean and coconut milk. So how can we elevate this simple ice cream dessert into a flavor bomb? By using the best ingredients which we can find. I am using Japanese red beans, aka Azuki beans, cos I find that they are best quality red beans. Next, is to find a natural sweetener which will enhance the flavors. I am using Nature's Superfood's Yacon Root syrup; I found out about this sweetener while I was researching about Keto diet. It did taste better than the famous Monk Fruit sweetener, in my opinion.

Lastly, I added matcha salt. It gives this dessert that extra oomph aftertaste. Of cos, you can pour everything into popsicles mold and enjoy it, but I decided to take another route. Another unorthodox and rebel route. I deconstructed the whole Potong dessert and display it on a plate. In the end, I garnish with some fresh mint leaves and some toasted Nature's Superfood's coconut flakes. My daughter said that this is like a plate of melted Potong. Well, at least my portrayal is on point. What are your thoughts?


(Serve 4)

  • Good Quality Azuki Beans Preferably Organic, 125g

  • Coconut Cream Preferably Organic, 200g

  • Nature's Superfoods' Yacon Root Syrup, 10g + More Adjust To Preference

  • Desiccated Coconut Preferably Organic, 2 TBSP

  • Coconut Rum, 2 TBSP

  • Fresh Mint Leaves, For Serving (Optional)

  • Nature's Superfoods' Organic Coconut Flakes, For Serving (Optional)

  • Matcha Salt, Pinch


  • Blender

  • Sauce Pot

  • Popsicles Mold (Optional)


  1. Pls visit my "Croque Madame" page for the matcha salt recipe.

  2. In a sauce pot over medium-high heat, add azuki beans and water.

  3. Make sure the water is more than enuff to submerge the beans, about 500ml.

  4. Bring it to a boil.

  5. Allow the mixture to boil for about 4 to 6 mins.

  6. Drain off the water thru a strainer.

  7. Return the beans into the sauce pot.

  8. Add in more than enuff water, about 500ml, to fully submerge the beans.

  9. Bring it up to a boil.

  10. Lower the heat down to a simmer.

  11. Allow the mixture to simmer for about 1.5 to 2 hrs or until the beans are soft and easily squashed by your fingers.

  12. *Add in more water if needed, during the simmering process.*

  13. Transfer the 85% of azuki beans into a blender. Reserving the remaining 15%.

  14. Add in 100ml of the simmering liquid. Discard the rest.

  15. Add in coconut cream, Nature's Superfoods' yacon root syrup, desiccated coconut and coconut rum.

  16. *At this point, you can add in matcha salt, blitz the mixture until smooth. Add the remaining 15% of azuki beans into popsicles mold and pour in the azuki mixture. Freeze, preferably overnight, and enjoy the potong.*

  17. Or you can blitz until smooth.

  18. Transfer half of the mixture into ice cubes tray and freeze, preferably overnight.

  19. Transfer the remaining half into a bowl and chill in the fridge.

  20. Drizzle some more Nature's Superfood's yacon root syrup into the remaining 15% of azuki beans and chill in the fridge.

  21. When about to serve, toast Nature's Superfoods' coconut flakes in a skillet until lightly browned.

  22. Pour the azuki mixture into serving plates.

  23. Place the azuki ice cubes into the mixture.

  24. Garnish with some mint leaves, toasted coconut flakes and matcha salt.

#potong #singapore #icecream #indulgence #azukibeans #naturessuperfoods

30 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

© 2017 by Fat Dough. Proudly created with